20 Secrets to Improve Your Homes Value
On the Outside:
- Resurface the driveway
and redo the walk so your home makes the right "cared-for" first impression.
- Install a new front door with brass fixtures to make your entry welcoming then pain or stain
the door surround.
- Replace the garage door and install an automatic opener.
- Put in a new flower bed, green up the lawn, and replace any overgrown buses in front.
- Power wash your siding and deck, and repaint the trim or, if needed, the whole house.
- Consider sought-after double or triple-pane windows or storm windows and doors that keep the
temperature indoors comfortable all year round.
- Install or upgrade porch and pole light fixtures to give your home a touch of elegance.
- Redo the roof and gutters to guard against hidden leaks.
On the Inside
- Repaint all interior walls using a neutral colour to make the whole house shine.
- Install new carpeting and vinyl or ceramic flooring.
- Refinish wood floors to give that "new house" look.
- Hang new chandeliers, recessed or track lighting to make pleasant rooms brilliant.
- Keep things cool with attractive ceiling fans
- Add elegance by replacing switch and outlet plates and register vents with shiny brass ones.
- Make over the kitchen, new counter tops, and appliances will help it sell. Today's buyers want
a disposal and dishwasher, consider replacing or refacing cabinets to
bring them up to date.
- Replace bathroom lighting, toilet seats, medicine cabinets an bathroom hardware to bring a sparkle
that goes beyond clean.
- Update your home's energy efficiency, possibly with new furnace or additional insulation
and new weather stripping so it cost less to operate.
- Install cable TV lines and an extra phone line to the best room for a home office - even if
you don't need them - to upgrade your home's electronic capabilities.
- Reorganize and add closet shelves to make closets function better and appear more spacious.
- Buy that new living room sofa or family room furniture you planned for the new house to
improve the look of the home you'll be selling.